I’ve always wanted a job that would allow me to travel. And lately, I’ve been traveling a lot for work and for leisure (but mostly for work). But just because I’m traveling, doesn’t mean I can just throw in the towel and abandon my workouts and meal plans.
When you’re traveling, its human nature to want to eat all the good food that whatever area you’re in is famous for. For example, I was in New Orleans, so while I was there I tasted all the shrimp, grits, gumbo, and fried catfish that I could handle. I knew I most likely wasn’t going to lose any weight during these weeks, but I was DETERMINED not to gain any either. Here are 5 tips that help me stay on track while I’m away on business.
- Always pack workout clothes. No matter where you’re going, throw your tennis shoes and workout clothes in the bag. If you can see them, you’re more likely to use them.
- Detox before you leave. Now look, I have no scientific proof that this actually works, BUT it will mentally make you feel better if you detox before you’re trip.
- Drink as much water as you can. Especially if you’re going somewhere like New Orleans where they have plenty of alternative beverage options. I probably drink more water when I am out-of-town than I do when I am at home.
- Try to stay active throughout the day. Just in case you can’t workout, staying active throughout the day will help you burn off whatever you’ve eaten. For example, during the day while I was in New Orleans, I would walk everywhere (Unless I was late or had heels on). The more I walked, the more calories I gradually burned throughout the day. I got all my steps in for a week straight. GOALS.
- Don’t be afraid to create your own workout. I know the gyms at hotels can be limited. Most of them consists of a couple a treadmills and maybe an elliptical or two. Create your own workout. If it’s a beautiful day, go run/walk outside. If you’re hotel room has multiple floors, run up the stairs (this is my favorite, you feel great afterwards). Don’t be afraid to try something different from your every day routine.
I’m not going to sit here and tell you that I workout everyday while I’m away on business. But I don’t forget about my lifestyle change just because I’ve left my city. Remember, making lifestyle changes goes wherever you go. There are no breaks and it’s not something you can pause. Be sure to make the best decisions for your body, even when you’re away.
Be blessed. Stay focused.