HAPPY NEW YEAR! I know I’m almost 2 months too late. I’ve been slacking, but I’m here and that;s what counts…right? Anyway, I was taking some time to reflect on my previous year and actually write down lessons that I’ve learned in 2016. I can honestly say that I have learned so much, and one of the most important things is how to be at peace with myself.
Let me tell you all about peace, get you some. If you are not at peace, you are truly missing out. When you are at peace, you sleep better, your goals are clearer, you’re more productive, and you’re less likely to put up with bull. I’ve also learned that with peace comes happiness. When I am at peace with myself and with the world around me, I’m much more relaxed. With the world we live in today, you truly have to learn to not attach your happiness to anything or anyone. Material things can disappear and unfortunately, so can people.
Along with being able to generate my own source of happiness and find my personal peace, I also learned many other things about myself and how I interact with people.
- Love Yourself. When you love yourself, you take away everyone’s power over you. If you understand that you’ll be okay with the absence of people who mean you no good anyway. Plus, you’ll be more independent and content with doing your own thing.
- Take your health seriously. Both your physical and mental health. You get one body. Drink water. Workout. Take naps. Meditate. Eat your vegetables. Put lotion on. Oil your scalp. All that. Do what you need to do in order to have the best quality of life possible. Its worth the investment.
- Don’t be afraid to walk away. If someone isn’t treating you right, leave. If you’re not happy, dismiss yourself. If you would rather be alone, chuck the deuces. If you’re just tired of being in the position, relationship, or friendship, politely exit (or be dramatic, that’s always fun too). Life is too short for you to be unhappy and miserable. Give yourself permission to be happy.
- Speak Up. Call it “being petty” if you want to. But no longer will I sit around with my mouth closed when something is bothering me. I’m usually like a soda bottle, you shake it and shake it then when you open it, it explodes. Nope. Not anymore. If I feel like you’re not treating me right or I feel some type of way about something, you will know. Of course, there is a time and place for everything and there is a way you approach people and situations and I will always take that into consideration.
- Do what is best for you. This is self explanatory. If you want to do something, make it happen. You want to quit your job and be a creative. Okay, write out a plan, save your coins, and move forward. You want to lose weight, put down the cookies and run. You can literally do whatever you want as long as you plan for it, commit to it and keep it pushing.
Our blessings will continue in 2017. We will continue to flourish. Keep evolving. Keep working. Stay humble but continue to be fierce and don’t take no for an answer. I always say, you’re the one that will have to suffer with the decisions that you make. So make them for you.